During the summer of 2018, the Balvikas Program focused on the theme of the ‘5Ds’ – Dedication, Devotion, Discipline, Discrimination, and Determination.
The program constituted a series of one-hour classes every Thursday. During each class, the focus was on a specific D and emphasized the value of it to our kids. Simple techniques were used such as great quotes, prayer, discussion of values, affirmations, singing, story-telling, and a class activity to teach about one of the ‘5Ds’.
The understanding of the ‘5Ds’ engenders personal, academic and spiritual success, and promotes resilience in students.
- Dedication is offering ourselves to every duty without ego.
- Devotion is the highest form of love and refers to the constant contemplation of God within and around us by expressing our gratitude.
- Discipline is about including self-control, efficiency, and structure in our lives by following the rules. The highest discipline is to bring about a unity of one’s thoughts, words, and deeds.
- Discrimination is constantly making the choice between what is right and proper and what is wrong and undesirable.
- Determination is the persistence to secure your goals by your efforts without allowing any room for doubt or hesitation. It is surprising what can be achieved with firm determination.